Sunday 2 May 2010

Experimenting...


Okay so I got thinking about what exactly happens when we remember memories. Apart from the obvious emotions, such as happiness, sadness, fear, grief, admiration, annoyance etc.
Some people can even create memories, and truly believe that they happened. Creating memories is an interesting subject, and this can even come of thinking back to memories that actually did happen.
If we really think about it, whenever we think of a memory, or certainly explain it to someone else, don't we add extra details each time? Don't we over exaggerate what really happened sometimes ? Isn't that almost like fabricating a whole new memory?

This, in itself I think is interesting, the fact that we can exaggerate something we remember so perfectly, yet it still be true.

Thinking about this, I though it'd be cool to try to interoperate this in some way.
Rather than going the obvious way about it, like restaging photos in a manner of ways as I have done in the past, I thought I'd try to express this idea more literally.

So I thought , exaggerating memories, exaggerating the photographs... literally?

Zooming in parts of the photographs until they become abstract in themselves.....

To try this idea out, I first started with a few of my Grandads old photos , chosen at random.


I started with this image because there's quite a lot going on with it, and I thought it would make sense to zoom in on a part that was the sharpest.




I carried on zooming in on sections that I thought would create the most abstract piece at the end....




After I zoomed in to what I thought would be a decent amount [ I didn't want it to be too minimalist! :P ] On photoshop, I thought i'd try to obscure it even more, so I tried to fit the image to the screen and what resulted was a type of mosaic pattern due to the pixelation;




This could be an interesting project in itself but I don't really think it works.
I might try one or two more before I make up my mind.....



No comments:

Post a Comment